Digital Factory for Individualized Mass Products
Moving away from monotonous mass production to the production of custom products that meet the customer's needs is a clear trend that will continue in the near future, according to many experts. This requires individual planning and design of the components from the first design through to production during operation. In particular, small and medium-sized enterprises need to be able to respond promptly and flexibly to the needs of the market. They must be able to change in the sense of lean management in order to avoid wastage.
All parties involved in the production process must be able to understand the scope of their actions and the consequences for the production process. In the process, large volumes of data are generated and worked out that are conventionally no longer manageable. Here, electronic data processing takes a deep-seated interest in manufacturing. All relevant variables must be defined exactly and processed safely. This module uses concrete examples to illustrate how customers' needs are incorporated into the design and how these data are processed and processed automatically. Data for prototypes are generated and produced using the FDM process. The students design their personal products and practice the process of production as well as the customization. They define degrees of freedom and process data and rules in databases. Work results are not just drawings and program data, but concrete prototypes and production parts. They work together with the teachings of computer-aided design practices. You will learn about important principles of CNC programming and implement methods of rapid prototyping.
Competences Trained by Working on this Module
- Please, retrace the student module and the intended learning process.
- If necessary, rebuild the final product by your own. Tools: student’s module,
- Reflect on where there were difficulties and how to avoid them in class.
- Consider the need for adjustment with regard to your own students and map the competence matrix for students.
- Adjust the module or refine it by filling out these forms:
- Evaluate your own learning process.
Tool: Evaluation form
Additional material for teacher and trainer:
The following documents gives you a further information!
Assessment of all products to be delivered:
- list of important changes of work processes for your students
- list of competences you and your students need to reach
- list of competences you want to acquire in short-term
- your students’ module
- an evaluation tool
Reflect and exchange your experience with other colleagues (in your working group or a virtual working group), define a focus you want to reflect on with your students and create a suitable evaluation tool for them.